Basically, last night's show was just a weigh-in with a little added "padding" to stretch it out to an hour.
So we start off with a surprise quiz. And once again, hairband on Filipe? STILL NOT A GOOD LOOK, MAN!
Then we get into the unavoidable product placement. Still cheezy, but actually a little more natural this time, amazingly...except for the pathetic "yummy noises" the blue team made while eating the veggies.
After that, it's time for the last chance workout. And I have come to the conclusion that Tara either a) doesn't care whether she's referred to as TAH-ra or TEH-ra (which would make her very different from every single Tara I've ever met), or b) is going to kill Jillian any day now for constantly pronouncing her name wrong.
There were some really uplifting moments in the last chance workout this week. First of all, all the switched people seem to be adjusting really well to their new trainers, and some were really shining. I got fantastic chills watching Bob be so encouraging of Mandi and Aubrey. I would feel sooo good about myself if he were my trainer and talking to me like that! It was awesome. It was also really great to see Mandi waxing enthusiastic about Bob in her interviews, she was really glowing and happy about the whole thing. Another thing I noticed was how Filipe's face is really starting to get chiselled. He's got a real Mario van Peebles thing going on now, I think.
Then we move into the weigh-in. And it's really wonderful that now we're really able to see big differences in people. Even Ron and Cathy, who have been struggling, you can still see changes. And LOOK AT MANDI'S STOMACH!!! Awesome stuff. This is why I watch the show! There were some fantastic results this week, it's such a shame that somebody had to go home. Among the most notable accomplishments, some of which were pointed out during the show:
- Cathy, Filipe and Sione moved from morbidly obese to clinically obese.
- Laura moved from clinically obese to obese.
- Cathy went below 250lbs. I was TICKLED at her weight loss number. She's had a bunch of rotten weeks lately, and it was about damn frickin' time the scale was nice to her. I was so happy to see it.
- Dane has lost a total of 100lbs.
- Helen went below 200lbs.
- Mike went below 300lbs.
- Ron went below 350lbs.
And then we went back into the elimination room to witness what was possibly the stupidest voting decision ever in Biggest Loser history. I mean, look at the facts. The black team is unbelievably strong - they've got Sione AND Filipe AND Tara! Not to mention Laura, who was the biggest individual loser in week 5 and the 2nd-biggest individual loser last week; and Mike, who's young and strong and has started to hit a stride with good percentages of weight loss. Finally on the black team there's Helen, who's tough, consistent, and a gameplayer. By contrast, the blue team is weak and definitely at a disadvantage. I mean, yes, compassion for people who "need to be here" and all that, but come on! Cutting out Dane increased the Black team's advantage exponentially. As my husband said, "They just tore the guts out of what was already a weak team." Bob is going to be FURIOUS when he finds out what they've done.
Personally, I would have gotten rid of Aubrey. Her weight loss is erratic, and it's not as much of an emotional kick in the nuts to send her off as it would be if they axed Ron. And speaking of Ron, I think his days of coasting on the "who needs to be here" line have come to an end. I love the guy, and I'm scared that he won't do well at home, but the season has really reached the point where he can't compete with the rest of them. At some point soon, his team is going to cut him because he's holding them back.
Back at home, we have no idea how much weight Dane has dropped since leaving the ranch, and he doesn't look much different, either. I thought that was weird - especially since he's been training for a MARATHON - and also disappointing. Hopefully we'll see big differences at the finale.
Funniest moment of the show: Aubrey's eyeroll upon seeing her weight loss number.
Looking ahead to next week, we've got some more potential milestones coming up:
- Aubrey could move from clinically obese to obese
- Kristin could move from morbidly obese to clinically obese, which would be amaaaaazing since she started the season as the most overweight woman ever; they keep talking about how Carla WEIGHS the most of any female ever, but her BMI was 57.6 compared to Kristin's 58.1, meaning Kristin was more overweight inch-for-inch; for her to move out of morbid obesity would be a fantastic milestone
- If Tara loses at least 6 pounds, she'll have lost a total of 30% of her bodyweight since starting the show
- Big possible week for Mandi: first of all, if she loses any weight, she'll move from obese to overweight, and if she loses at least 4 pounds, she'll drop below 200lbs
- Huge possible week for Mike: he could hit 100lbs of total weight loss; he could move from being morbidly obese to clinically obese; and he could pass the 25% total weight loss mark