Wednesday, July 11, 2007

CI Review, 2007/07/09

Crap, crap, crap. Woke up this morning to find that my computer had lost power overnight, and everything I'd written about the guys was gone. Crap. Oh, and again...crap.

Let's see what I feel like recreating...

Matt

Of course Matt is the powerhouse voice among the guys. He did go back a bit this week to overusing the vibrato, but it wasn't too bad. I thought the performance was sweet and classy. The boy doesn't have much 'voom', but his voice and style are unique among the competitors so I think he should be in the top ten. I suspect Canada will feel the same way, especially since he comes across as so goshdarn nice.

Greg

Very solid. Very real. Not hop-out-of-my-seat electrifying, but I can't imagine that he won't sail through.

Tyler

I wasn't sure whether I liked or disliked what he did this week. It started out without his usual totally cool Tyler vibe...but then got better later on. He ditched the melody of the song, which I love...but he sounded good anyway. It was too growly...but I think he made it work by dipping occasionally into his Elvis voice. So it definitely wasn't my favourite thing from Tyler, but I still really like him.

Liam

Great voice. Shallow performance.

Jaydee

I'm with Zack. This is so far away from the kind of stuff I like that I can hardly comment on it. But I have to admit that it did work for him, even though it seems no one ever listens to me when I tell them to stay the hell away from the audience! So cheezy! Augh!

Brian

You know, I like Brian's voice, but even though he's been sort of pegged as a 'rocker' in this competition, there's just something way too 'boy band' about him. And the 'trueness' of his voice is not always reliable.

Dwight

Zack finally hit the nail on the head as to what is missing from Dwight's performances: charisma. It's been driving me nuts trying to figure it out, but that's it. The guy can rock, the guy can sing...but he's missing that spark of rockstar charisma so essential to his style, and I don't think he's winning the country over as a result.

Predictions

Greg, Tyler and Jaydee aren't going anywhere this week. I think Brian is gonezo, and unfortunately I suspect Dwight won't be far behind.

No comments: